Ta-dah!!! This is a secret project that I have been working on for some time. Whilst at university I grew close to some of my lecturers, mostly because they are amazing people, but they also share my love of crochet and knitting. I have made them little animals before as presents or as thank yous (as you may of seen from my previous posts), but this time things were more serious.
One of my lecturers, Emma, was getting married in July and together with my other lecturers we had decided to make her a wedding present. A flurry of secret emails transcended, trying to decide on the subject animals (of course it had to be animals), the colours, and even the overall theme.
Pretty soon it was decided that we were going to have two animals, male and female, to represent Emma and her soon to be husband Paul. It was also suggested that the animals were intertwined somehow, to symbolise their eternal love (awww!). Various animal species were suggested, but as Emma loves elephants and their trunks would look very nice entwined, we settled on them. Next was to pick the colours. Emma based the colour theme of her wedding around her favourite combo of coral and navy blue, so we copied this for our elephants. It was then my (stupid) idea to suggest having the colours merge from one elephant to the other, having them colour change through the linked trunks as they went from being two individuals to a married couple. Having not attempted to colour merge before, I confidently said it wouldn’t be a problem… Anyway. We also had to pick a size. We wanted it to be a statement piece, something they could put on display, something around 25cm tall. Smaller elephants would have been notably quicker to make, but not as impressive – especially as a wedding gift from four people!
So that was the plan, two large elephants (one coral and one navy), trunks entwined, with colour merging from one elephant to the other through the trunks, made in crochet. How hard can it be?
As it turns out, much harder than I thought.
Having no pattern to follow, I decided I’d start at the feet and work my way towards the colour changing challenge. I would like to take this opportunity to say that I do usually try and reproduce anatomically correct animals in my woollen creations, however as they were to be pink and blue with connected trunks I didn’t bother with the right body shapes! To begin the legs I essentially made four oval shaped cups then crocheted them together.
Progressing up the body was easy enough, just going round and round and round and round. The hard bit was trying to shape the top into a natural slope that also turned into a trunk. This took a lot of trial and error!
In my opinion, they look like Clangers, especially the coral one! No copyright infringement intended..!
It was at this point where I had to begin the colour merge. As I had never done it before, I needed a test piece to try out my technique. It took me a few goes, but I was quite happy with the result. This is the content of my last post ‘Colour blending in crochet‘.
Sadly my constant making, undoing, and tweaking of this project caused me to miss the deadline! I know, unbelievable! Emma had her wedding in Austria, and my lecturers were flying out before the big day, and I just couldn’t get it finished (to a standard I would have been happy with) in time. But I managed to finish it eventually (despite it being about a month after the wedding due to scheduling conflicts) and it’s safe to say she was delighted with it!
Please feel free to comment or send me a message and let me know what you think!